Team Poker Titans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ban the tv license

+2
FlyingDagg
unbpower
6 posters

Go down

ban the tv license Empty ban the tv license

Post  unbpower Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:56 pm

why do we still pay for the tv license ? in this day and age when we have the options to subscribe to tv channels that we want , why are we being forced to pay for channels that we may not watch ?? i`m struggling to think of the last time i watched the bbc ........ all my favourite programmes are on sky mainly the fx channel ie.... dexter,walking dead and american horror story .....fecks me off that i have to pay nearly £200 a year for a service that i never use , do i really want to sit down and watch mind numbing depressing garbage like eastenders or has been celebrities dancing around on strictly come dancing? ...

unbpower

Back to top Go down

ban the tv license Empty Re: ban the tv license

Post  FlyingDagg Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:55 am

Interesting point Michael. Despite the recent scandal the BBC is still a recognised world leader in broadcasting standards. The only alternatives would be for the BBC to be subscription or paid for adverts like the other terrestrial channels. Subs for the BBC will never happen and if advertising was allowed they would have to rethink their programming to appeal to the widest audience. I would hate to see another ITV clone as I think it's far inferior to BBC channels. The diversity of programmes available on BBC (including 2, 3 and 4) far outweighs anything that ITV produces. And I'm not BBC biased as I rarely watch TV now and no longer have any Sky channels though I do miss Sky Atlantic. Anything I want to watch is usually done on catch up on the pc which unfortunately you still need a license for otherwise my TV would have been sold long ago. I know a flat fee isn't the fairest system but I think it's preferable to adverts.
FlyingDagg
FlyingDagg

Back to top Go down

Post  JEFFTER Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:06 am

After working for TV licencing for 22 years (made redundant 30/9/12) I feel I am in a position to reply knowing all the facts. A TV licence is needed not to watch the BBC as everyone thinks ,but it is a "permission to receive Television broadcasts", so even if you watch tv and do not watch BBC programmes you still need a licence. The current licencing fee is £145.50 and is collected by TV licencing, (TVL) on behalf of the BBC. A new contract has been agreed by the BBC with TVL to reduce the cost of collecting this revenue by a substantial amount , hence the whole of TVL headquarters in Bristol being made redundant and "our jobs" being outsoursed to India and Darwin, (lancashire) to reduce costs. Now I could be really bitter about this and be anti BBC but when you look at the facts the BBc is regarded as the BEST provider of tv in the world. The range of programes factual, drama, news documentry, etc etc (without adverts) is second to none (apart from maybe sports / sky). the fee is used to run 4 tv channels radio and the world service and if you work it out it costs less than 40p per day. Bloody good value if you ask me! If you were to buy a newspaper every every day it would cost more than this!!!!!

Other little facts that are not known - most countries have a TV licence and it is usually more expensive than ours and they still have adverts - Not all the fee goes to the bbc -a percetage of the fee is given to other broadcasters ITV, Channel 4 etc etc

Dale - You say that you do not watch much tv at the moment apart from catchup - Do you realise that if you do not watch programmes as they are broadcast "live" then a licence is NOT required.

Thats my PRO BBC rant out of the way - anyway, anyone got any jobs going lol
JEFFTER
JEFFTER

Back to top Go down

Post  FlyingDagg Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:21 pm

Jeffter sorry to hear you lost your job it'a horrible feeling after you have worked for so long in the same job I went though the same thing when I was 40. Thankyou for correcting some points. I did once know about the right to recieve broadcasts thing but never knew that other channels get a share. Re your watching on catch-up. I was told a year or 2 ago by someone who also worked for TV licensing that a pc is capable of recieving TV stations so I would still need the license. I've just checked on my current license and you are correct. But I have one question for you. I have a widescreen tv with a very good Bluray home cinema set up. How easy would it be to convince TV licensing that my tv was only used now for watchg DVD's? Assuming I ditch my defunct Sky box and disconnect all aerial connections (my tv has built in Freeview)?
FlyingDagg
FlyingDagg

Back to top Go down

Post  chubbers Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:44 am

I watch loads of programmes on the bbc (new tricks being my favorite), my son watches cbeebies and is helping with the problems he currently has expecially a prog called something special. I do watch a lot of tv and most of the programmes are shown on sky. But Paying £150 ish a year is peanuts for what we actually get through the bbc, and got to say i record most things on every other channel so i can fast forward the adverts. (they do my head in).
chubbers
chubbers

Back to top Go down

Post  Pokertrev Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:27 am

I hate paying for a TV Licence and think everything should be pay on demand nowadays, but I think Jeffter has made some really valid points and has a good argument for keeping it.

Still can't help thinking i'm paying twice for my TV Channels though Smile Why should we have to pay for Sky when the bulk of their revenue comes through TV advertising anyway? surely with their massive customer base now, they could offer it up for free and still generate enough income through TV Advertising?
Pokertrev
Pokertrev
Admin

http://www.teampokertitans.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  haylez83 Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:53 pm

Hi,

A friedn of mine refuses to pay her tv licence and aparently its law, she recently sent me a message with the below details, personally i just pay it as i don't think its worth the hassell.

for your viewiing, mate.
[Only admins are allowed to see this link]

Pokertrev wrote:I hate paying for a TV Licence and think everything should be pay on demand nowadays, but I think Jeffter has made some really valid points and has a good argument for keeping it.

Still can't help thinking i'm paying twice for my TV Channels though :)Why should we have to pay for Sky when the bulk of their revenue comes through TV advertising anyway? surely with their massive customer base now, they could offer it up for free and still generate enough income through TV Advertising?

haylez83

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum