Team Poker Titans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hand ranges

5 posters

Go down

Hand ranges Empty Hand ranges

Post  spurs_13 Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:39 am

Hi Doc

Something that i constantly think about is opening hand ranges in different positions and wondered if there are any tips on offer

e.g

K 10 o /ep - raise or not to raise?

A rag o / ep, utg+1 - play or not to play

A rag s / any position - flush or not to flush

Small pkt pairs / ep, utg+1 - fold or not to fold

These are just examples and for illustration purposes Smile

When i 1st started playing about 6 months ago, i had been on a training site and followed a "hand range guide" to the letter which really helped me understand the basic idea of ABC poker. Now, the more I play the more I am starting to feel that to get to the next level I will need to make some adjustments especially to starting hands

Any thoughts?

spurs_13

Back to top Go down

Hand ranges Empty Re: Hand ranges

Post  Poker Doctor Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:14 am

spurs_13 wrote:Hi Doc

Something that i constantly think about is opening hand ranges in different positions and wondered if there are any tips on offer

e.g

K 10 o /ep - raise or not to raise?

A rag o / ep, utg+1 - play or not to play

A rag s / any position - flush or not to flush

Small pkt pairs / ep, utg+1 - fold or not to fold

These are just examples and for illustration purposes Smile

When i 1st started playing about 6 months ago, i had been on a training site and followed a "hand range guide" to the letter which really helped me understand the basic idea of ABC poker. Now, the more I play the more I am starting to feel that to get to the next level I will need to make some adjustments especially to starting hands

Any thoughts?

Hi Spurs
Here is your prescription.

K 10 o /ep - raise or not to raise? Never Raise, Never Call, Always FOLD these type of hands in early position.

A rag o / ep, utg+1 - play or not to play - Never Raise, Never Call, Always FOLD these type of hands in early position, with the exception of AKo. AKo is the only rag A we should be raising with in early position

A rag s / any position - flush or not to flush - AQ & and above can be raised from Mid - Late position, all other A suited rags should be folded.

Small pkt pairs / ep, utg+1 - fold or not to fold - All pocket pairs below JJ should be folded in early position & utg+1

These are basic examples of good tight play and used with a little TLC should make you better in no time at all.

Note: Please ensure you take your prescription for at least 2 week to enable the healing process.

Thank you for visiting the doctor.
Poker Doctor

Poker Doctor

Back to top Go down

Post  spurs_13 Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:54 am

Thank you Doctor, i will make another appointment when i have completed my prescription Very Happy

spurs_13

Back to top Go down

Post  unbpower Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:12 pm

not to argue with the doctor ,i agree mainly with his diagnosis except the low pocket pairs i would normally raise pre from any position to see if i could hit my set but only if its early in a tourny or i have a big stack later , if you miss you can still take a stab at the high flop ( you were the pre flop aggressor ) but if your met with resistance get the hell out Smile

unbpower

Back to top Go down

Post  FlyingDagg Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:07 am

I'm with Michael on playing pocket pairs from early position. I think they are always worth a min raise. If you get reraised you can re-evaluate but set mining can be VERY profitable. Also raising pre flop with any hand gives you more options post flop.
FlyingDagg
FlyingDagg

Back to top Go down

Post  The_Don90 Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:37 am

I think alot depends on dynamics.

On some tables i will literally open 72o UTG because its a profitable move. Obviously thats on a tight table deep into a tournament probably close to the bubble when im decent stacked. On others my opening range UTG will literally be JJ+

We have to consider our stack, opponents stack, what we think our table image is, how our opponents play. And much more.

The_Don90

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum